The registration of businesses in Kenya has been made easier and faster. For one, a name search will be instant. Also, the registration of companies can also now be easily done by individuals. Previously individuals needed to go through lawyers to register a company which is now not necessary. However in the event that you need any help in registering your business, check out BrianTony International Consultants. They will be happy to assist at a reasonable price.
Also, registration of businesses is now being done at the GPO and City Square Huduma Centres. Below is the new registration process for companies, sole proprietorships and partnerships.
1. Name search and reservation. The name search and reservation process can be done at any Huduma Centre countrywide, online using the E-Citizen platform and on a Safaricom phone by dialing *271#.
2. Fill company registration form CR1 (Download HERE).
3. Provide a company memorandum. You can prepare your own or modify one that one can be downloaded HERE.
4. A copy of national I.D. card/passport, KRA PIN certificate and recent coloured passport photograph of each director and the company secretary. One of the directors had to be registered on the iTax platform. Directors who provide passport copies should also indicate issuing country, place and date of issue.
5. Company email address.
6. Fill a notification of directors’ residential address – Form CR8 (Download HERE).
7. Fill the statement of nominal capital form (Download HERE)
8. Copy of I.D card of person lodging documents.
9. Private companies with a paid up capital of Ksh. 5,000,000 are required to have a Company Secretary.
Name search – Ksh. 100 per name.
Registration fee – Ksh. 10,000
Registration takes 2 to 3 weeks.
When the company registration certificate is ready, you will also be able to pick your new company’s KRA PIN, NSSF and NHIF certificates from Sheria House.
B. Partnerships and Sole Proprietorships
The process of registering a sole-proprietorship and partnership is the same and it is as follows:
1. Copy of Identity Cards of the proprietor/Partners as may be the case
2. Copy of PIN of the proprietor/Partners as may be the case
3. Passport size photographs of the proprietor/Partners as may be the case
4. Name search and reservation.
5. Duly filled BN2 form (Download HERE).
Name search – Ksh. 100 per name
Registration fee – Ksh. 850
Registration takes 1 week.